How to Get Rid of Fleas in My House
If you own a pet, there’s a strong chance that you’ll come across fleas sooner or later. These small wingless pests attach themselves to an animal when it’s outside, then infest its fur and anywhere the animal goes or sleeps, which means your home is vulnerable to a flea infestation.
They can jump long distances so can easily move from animals to humans and once attached to a host, they bite and feed on blood, causing allergic reactions or transmitting serious illnesses.
So how do you get rid of fleas in your house?
Well, we’re not going to lie, it takes time and effort, and a three-pronged approach:
- Treating your pets
- Cleaning infested areas in your home
- Preventing fleas from coming back
Do I have a flea infestation in my home?
If you have a flea infestation in your home, it won’t be long before you know about it. You might notice:
- Your pets scratching-as the flea bites and feeds on their blood it causes irritation.
- Bite marks or irritation on your skin-if the fleas have made the jump from your pets to you, you will have very itchy bite marks on your skin.
- Flea faeces-You’ll find flea faeces in places like pet beds, carpets, rugs, and other places where your dog or cat rests or sleeps. The faeces will look a bit like ground black pepper.
- You may see the adult fleas themselves-they will be especially active if they have not had the chance to feed for a while, like when you have been away, for example.
- You might notice flea eggs, larvae, and pupae in and around furniture, in your pet’s bed or blankets, and in carpets.
So how do I get rid of fleas in my house?
If fleas come into your house on your pets, it’s very difficult to keep them out. You can get treatments for your pet, keep them clean and groomed, and wash their bedding frequently. There are also products available that you can use to treat areas of your home, but most of the time, over-the-counter products to control fleas won’t address the cause of the problem. You need professional pest control to stop a flea infestation in its tracks and stop them from coming back.
How we can help
Contego’s highly-trained technicians will inspect your home and:
- Identify and remove fleas eggs, larvae, and pupae, and any adult fleas themselves, using safe and effective flea control products.
- Inspecting your home for any signs of other pests that may be bringing fleas in if they don’t appear to be getting in on your pets.
- Advise you on how to prevent future infestations.
- Arrange a follow-up visit to check the flea control plan is working.
Do you have a problem with fleas in your house?
Act now because it can quickly become a serious infestation.